Fall is on the way and hiking couldn't be better. Come enjoy the fall colors either walking the trails or riding along the Blue Ridge Parkway. We are taking reservations for Thanksgiving and will provide information for Thanksgiving dinners in Black Mountain. Our winter rates of 10% off start the beginning of November through April.
A great hike for the fall is 45 minutes from our B&B down to Looking Glass Rock. You can hike in and out the 6.2 miles. It is on every "must hike" list. At the end of the trail is a sheer granite cliff and outstanding view of the Pisgah National Forest. Also located near by is Looking Glass falls and in the summer a way to cool off after hiking is to go down sliding rock to the very cold mountain stream.
Another great hike on the Blue Ridge Parkway South at mile parker 418.8 is Graveyard Fields . There are two really nice waterfalls, Upper and Lower Falls , the lower in my favorite.You can hike a loop of 7.9 miles or just take a short hike down steps to the lower falls.
Holly Jolly is Black Mountain's start to the Christmas season. Join us the first weekend in Dec. for this celebration. The parks department also has the Celebration of Lights with a night of activities around Lake Tomahawk.
Within walking distance of the B&B you can play tennis for free, go swimming at the public pool, play golf on a mountain course and rent bikes from the local dealer in Black Mountain. Hiking is only minutes away and then there is always shopping, eatings and checking out the pubs and wine shops. Want to just relax and sit back with a book on the lawn overlooking the lake , we have a stocked library and the public library is walking distance of the B&B
Black Mountain Center for the Arts: "Upbeat"held on the fourth Friday of each month at 7:30 pm. www.BlackMountainarts.org. Friday, September 28th: Malcolm Holcombe contemporary folk, rock and blues
The Town Pump is a friendly hang-out that host bands five nights a week playing Americana, bluegrass, honky tonk or the blues. Wednesday night is "Open Mic Night.
The Watershed is host a wide variety of Bluegrass, rock , Americana and more.
Need to get outdoors and get active , Black Mountain has it all. Enjoy miles and miles of trails for hiking and trail running, or mountain biking. ( Epic Cycle 828 669-5969 a great outfitter if you don't want to bring your gear). Want to go fly fishing check out the Flat Creek Outfitters for info on nearby streams and what fish are biting where ( 828 669-6630).
Day hiking around here couldn't be better. There are 12 trails of varied lengths and levels of difficulties within 5-10 minutes of our B&B. We can provide you with maps and help you plan your hike.
Swannanoa Valley Museum. Hikes: Cost $5 for museum member $15 non members
Reservations please 828 669-9566. www.swannanoavalleymuseum.org.
- Thomas Wolfe Home
- Chimney Rock Park
- Grandfather Mountain
- Come do the hike of a life time. Summer trips are planned to hike up to the Mount Mitchell tower leaving from Montreat. The hike takes about 6 to 7 hours and will have a van for the return trip down the mountain. If interested call our toll free number .
- Blue Ridge Parkway
- Lake Lure
- Grove Park Inn
- Diane Worthem Theater, Flat Rock Playhouse
- Carl Sandburg Home
- Black Mountain Center for the Arts
- Sliding Rock
- Linville Falls & Gorge
- Dupont Falls
- Cherokee Indian Village
- Cheshire Sports and Fitness Club - You can enjoy the fitness center for a small fee of $12 a day during your stay. Enjoy an hour massage or try out the hot tub, dry sauna and the indoor swimming.
Hiking: Appalachian Trail, Mountains to Sea Trail, local hiking trails
Numerous golf courses within a 5 to 45 minute drive of Black Mountain
- Lake Eden Arts Festival
- Sourwood Festival
- Belle Cher
- Apple Festival
- Taste of Black Mountain
- Park Rhythms at Lake Tomahawk
- Black Mountain Christmas Parade
- Lake Tomahawk Circle of Lights
Special Packages that can be arranged:
- Massage Therapy - There are several local massage places in Black Mountain . Plus there is a new place in Asheville about 15 minutes away that would be worth the drive. It is called Shoji , a Japanese Spa. Check out their web site at shojiretreats.com .